Friday, October 7, 2011

Trait # 3

Another common trait on the autism spectrum is the tendency that they have to use self stimulatory behaviors. Now, it is normal for the human race to have moments during boredom or stress to reduce to these behaviors, such as biting a pen, knuckle cracking, or chewing off finger nails. However, they do have some cognitive control over the behavior itself, but kids with autism are simply obsessed with it, much similar to the compulsive behaviors of that to a person diagnosed with Obsessive Complusive Disorder and maybe their need to clean but can't seem to stop themselves. It's not something they love to do but it provides the type of stimulation they need and they are driven to do it. Kids that also have sensory integration disorder on the spectrum are extremely driven to these behaviors. Speaking from personal experience, one can't persuade them to just simply stop the behavior. You can try to redirect their attention, but ultimately there is nothing one can do to prevent it, stop it, or get rid of it. Trust me, of all people I know how hard it is to live with it. It can utterly get on your nerves. The best advice that I have is to teach them more appropriate self stimulatory behaviors and ones that are NOT liable to drive others insane, like jumping on a trampoline for example. Self stimulatory behaviors are nicknamed "stems" or "stim-Ming". The most classic self stimulatory behaviors seen with children that have autism are: A. Hand flapping B. Waking on tip toes. C. Flipping on & off light switches repeatedly. D. Spinning. E. Making " fish" patterns. F. Watching things that spin. G. Opening & closing doors constantly. H. Any unusual repetitive or ritualistic behavior, like rocking They usually prefer to engage in these behaviors rather than play with toys. They do it for HOURS on end. They will do it for weeks upon weeks. I vividly remember my oldest spinning. Normally, a child would get dizzy and fall over from that much spinning. Nope, he would literally do it for hours! I could not handle them spinning in front of me for very long because I would get over stimulated myself. I would move to another room so I could get a break from it. I also remember having company over to our house would witness these things and laugh because it was funny and amusing to them. Sure , if you saw it for a brief time it might be, but they didn't realize was that they were not just being goofy...they did this A LOT, and I do mean A LOT. It was absolutely unbearable at times...um, still is! I am so past laughing...and sometimes just coping silently, as the world is simply clueless at what distress it can cause a mother to be around the annoying behaviors. No, I do not think it annoys just me. I know it would annoy most people. I also remember light switches blinking way to often and doors never fully shut nor open...and due to obvious issues, I could not just ignore I did have to put a stop to that, so I invested in other more acceptable things they would enjoy like swings, balls with handles they could bounce, a trampoline, and/or slides...thing that would not ruin one' s sanity. It was worth the investment.