Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sign Language

I tried out sign language with my kids before age 5.  I personally think it is a good tool when the autistic kids were younger because they were forced in a sense to "look" at Mom when she spoke.  It improved their eye contact.  Despite, I used that method, they never returned the favor.  They do not sign back, but they responded in a way that told me they understand what I am signing.  It's visual too, so they understood it a lot faster than the verbal exchange.  I was not able to get other adults to support me in this endeavor, but we used this at home.  Sometimes, my husband will do it and sometimes he would not.  Mom was the only one that used it, in the end.  After they started attending school, I supported the picture exchange system coupled with verbal script-ic text they used.....just followed their lead and supported their endeavors instead because I have learned it is less confusing for them.  I was a bit bummed no one would support me because we did have some success with it.