Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ear Infections

When my oldest was teething for the first 18 months, it was HORRIBLE.  First of all, his ear canal was hereditary smaller than most kids...turns out, it runs in the family on my husband's side.  Every time, he got one individual baby tooth he would also get a nasty ear infection.  As an infant, he got extra fussy and as a toddler, it felt like he just grew a monster horn instead because he would start acting out....I had no idea what was happening.  I could only take so much of that onery behavior.  He was a real "Dennis the Menace " at times....it always led  him to eventually screaming at one point and grabbing his ears.  At that point, I would think of the possibility it could be an ear infection and see a doctor.  Yep, he had one!  He had them so often, that we opted to have ear tubes placed inside his ear to help drain the stuff in the canal.  He was the happiest guy after we did that procedure.  I just have to say, that he didn't have language to indicate that need, so it was very hard for mom to figure out ... but after a few infections in a row I became more aware of that need as thy frequented.  I definitely do not have that gift of E.S.P. so having children who can't communicate has been the strangest experience. 

We got a break from ear infections and teething concerns, but when they hit school age where they were losing their baby teeth and getting bigger ones.....we still saw some behavior that was unusual.  It always ended up being related to dental matters.  With one child, his dental matters bugged him so badly that he literally chewed off the cuffs and collars of his shirts, that is when I figured out his teeth were bugging him, so I would give him what I call "chew" toys for autistic kids...it is an occupational therapy oral device.  If you don't know what that is, then you can ask an OT.  I bet all Occupational Therapists know just what I am referring too.  I have heard stories of other autistic kids chewing up furniture, so just keep that in mind.  It is better to buy the oral devices than to replace couches or chairs in your living room.