Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Thinking...

Autistic kids do not think in words but rather imagine it as thinking in pictures. They are such visual learners. After reading a book called "thinking in pictures" by Temple Grandin I was better able to understand this...amongst other things she discusses in her book.

Some behaviorists would see this as a weakness because they rely upon it so heavily thinking, that it becomes a crutch to ever being able to cross the bridge of ever learning to learn like other kids. However, I see it has a strength. Where would they be in life without this gift of theirs? I am happy for them that they have a way to learn the same concepts as other kids despite they are wired differently in their brains. In some ways, they have an advantage. It easier for them to visualize and in our fast pace digital world they can see better than the rest of us word thinkers in a sense. I started using visual tools and visual aids as I tutored the boys when school was not in session. Behaviorists would not encourage their strength in this way. I think I have some personal understanding as I have a gift myself. I have a photographic memory and dreams that very detailistic...that it helps me to see things uniquely but does not impair me. I plain disagree with their viewpoint. I think you can teach with both. I focus on just trying to help them overcome their challenges with all the tools we may have on hand. I don't see it as a counterproductive argument either, that would be equivalent to arguing the old philosophical question "is it nature or is it nurture?". In my opinion, they BOTH play an important role. In this case, I think the visual teaching tools can help anyone understand concepts better. Have you ever tried to assemble something following instructions Only using words as your guide? Fun, right? Now take the same set of instructions and add visual examples! I bet that would make the assembly go much faster. So what, if you prefer visual aids in your instructions! Who wouldn't really? Point is: if it works then, it works! Use it. It can be viewed as an asset rather than a liability in this equation.