Monday, October 17, 2011

Imaginary Play

I have observed that all three of my boys struggled with imaginary play at the age kids typically start with role playing.  We bought role playing toys when they were toddlers and they were not the least bit interested, even when I initiated it.  I will be honest I don't have that kind of imagination either.  Perhaps, they get this from me.  However, I did try!  They did not play with those cute little preschool sets.  After many attempts, I finally gave up.  Surprisingly,  two of my boys, they started up role playing and imaginary play (pretending) later on down the road.  I was not expecting it.  I had already accepted maybe it would not happen.  However, they were just delayed.  My 12 year old son, he started only a year ago doing what most toddlers do in this area.  He has always had a dramatic personality and his teacher last year really brought that part out of him.  We were surprised when he auditioned, signed up for, and practice for a play all without our knowledge.  I learned about his play from his best friend a few doors down like the night before the play.  I came to school to watch it and was so glad I learned about it in time.  I had no idea!  He was one of the leading roles.....and he did a super job!  Wow!  I felt like as I watched him, "Is that my son?" because it really took me by surprise.  I am glad he had that opportunity and that the teacher saw something in him and encouraged it.  It was a good experience for him.  My second son, he is ten years old.  At this time, I have still not seen this capability, but I have hope he could grow into it later.  My youngest, he is five years old.  I see him pretending that his balls are planets as he names them.  I think he is only a little delayed and I am encouraged to find those little play sets, like a barnyard animal farm set.  He is starting to show interest in animals. 

So, I have concluded that it is not impossible for autistic kids to do imaginary play or role playing, but it might not happen chronologically where other kids do this....it might come ten years later!  I would not be surprised if only the high functioning kids are only delayed where the lower functioning kids do not develop it later....I would be interested in comparing notes with a mother of a lower functioning autistic child.  Just my thoughts.