Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Squishy Time

Once my boys were to big to be "burrito wrapped", we came up with other occupational therapy we could do at home. My son now calls it squishy time. I start out with the brushing technique, next the Joint compression method, and finally a massage with baby oil or lotion. My boys just CRAVE it. It helps to calm them when they are hyper and sometimes overstimulated. I got these ideas and demonstrations from a therapist. We would drive twice a week to a therapist that was 45 minutes away for a very short session. I watched and learned. Plus, my health insurance only covered so many visits. When the visits ended, I felt confident enough to do it from home. We saved time and money too, not to mention my sanity! Years later, we can read our kids better. Currently, I have one child that gets these laughing fits right before his meltdowns, so we know it is time. It is much better to catch him at this stage than when he is tantrum-ing. Brushing technique & joint compression method: click here This link has some great info on autism too.