Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Short & Sweet

All my auties, now they have been trained at school, they are gaining grounds with receiving some instruction from others and following through with directions.  Some days are better than others.  However, the one success that we have had, in remembering they have struggles with audio processing, is that when we are talking to them, we make it short and sweet, to the point.  They process only a few words then why waste your breath?  You may end up repeating the instruction if your sentence is too long for them to process.  So, make it short and sweet. 

For example:  hand them a work book page, then say:  "write letter" and that is usually easier to understand than if you say, "okay, son, it is time for you to write your letters".....he only heard probably three words out of that later sentence and it might not be the three words you wanted him to hear and he is left in confusion.....so for me, I might say, "write letter, please" because I like to teach my kids manners whenever I request things so I always say please....it teaches three things:   a) language, b) manners, and c) writing skills and reviewing letters, in this case.  Aren't I sneaky?  They are copy cats and follow our language scripts after all, so I have to role model what I want them to say in the long run.