Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Trait # 1

Often, you hear about the "traits" that autistic kids have that are common.  Generalization is one of them. 

It's my understanding that most kids on the autistic spectrum struggle with generalization.  What does that mean?  They might learn rules or concepts in one setting, but it does not necessarily transfer over to another setting.   I found it important early on to build good relationships with the teachers at school, so we could provide similar things or support each other in both environments -- and it helps the child too, to know what to expect. 

For example, I find out what works for the teachers and I try to apply it at home somehow.  He learns that all caregivers expect that same rule.

I found myself chuckling in the car this week, when I was telling one of my sons, that rule, "keep your hands and feet and other objects to yourself" applies everywhere!  I was saying the acronym version that school uses to say "KYFOOTY in the car, KYFOOTY at dance lessons, KYFOOTY at church, KYFOOTY at home, KYFOOTY at school, etc....to make my point.  Of course, I will have to say this repeatedly for a while till he gets the GENERAL message.  I will have to say it in different settings and remind him constantly.  Fun!