Thursday, September 29, 2011

Therapies

We live in a world where the resources are a wide-span of ideas and theories.  I strongly suggest you filter through the information, weigh it on your mind, even pray about it, and then decide what is best for you and the child in question.  I can say from experience that what works with one child may not with the next, so there is no ONE RIGHT WAY to do it.  Therapies are designed to help kids, but they do not cure them.  If you find something that does work, then stick with it.  I found that some therapies were just plain too eccentric for me and not realistic while other one were interesting and worth trying.  I make a joke today that I hope my kids don't need "therapy from the therapies" they got when they were younger because we tried a few that didn't work in the long run, vacated that idea, and went on to find ones that were a better match.  If it feels right, then do it.  If it does not, then I would avoid it.  A decade ago, the "Holding Therapy" was real popular....and it was to help kids with attachment issues.  Since kids on the autism spectrum have attachment issues, I thought it might be interesting to try it.  I actually think it made it worse with one of my kids.  I think he still resents me to THEE DAY for that therapy.  I meant well, but in the end, it was not for him.  I was not completely unsuccessful....I found that he liked to be burrito wrapped like an Indian baby and what we know call "squishy time" or a deep compression massage.  I will probably post in the future and talk more specifically about each therapy, but before I go there, I have to say there are some pretty wacky ideas out there so make sure you pick a therapy that makes sense and has a lot of research and tests to back up the theory.  You don't want to do more harm than help.