Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tactile defenseness

Mothers really enjoy holding their babies. Well, so did I. Babies love to be held. My first born had an innate need to be held like most babies, however, he was not able to find pleasure in it like other babies because it was painful to him. I remember him arching his back and letting out a big cry every time I went to gently pick him up. He was so sensitive to my touch that it was painful. I did the usual methods of calming a baby, but no amount of singing, rocking, swaying, caressing nor talking soothingly did squat for him. Infact, it probably made it worse! What new mom would expect that? Better yet, who would figure that out quickly? I would like to say I did but the better part of that year I did my best and dealt with a super colicky baby instead. Eventually, I figured this out. It did help that I studied human development courses in college as a minor to my studies which is not the norm for most first time parents. I saw clues if you will that something was not quite right with my little one. My baby did have heart surgery when he was two weeks old, so that was never too far from my mind either. When frequent doctor visits and checkups ruled out possible medical reasons for my infants distress, I had to start looking for other answers.